While upgrading your current home with the latest eco-friendly appliances or purchasing a certified energy-efficient home will certainly help you save money and energy, you don’t have to invest thousands of dollars to see significant changes in your home’s energy consumption. Follow these simples to start saving money and energy.
Check Your Home’s Exterior for Air Leaks
With proper insulation, it’s easier for your central heating and cooling system to keep your entire house warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Check your walls, basement, and attic to make sure that your home is well insulated.
Tip: Air leaks can occur where two different building materials meet, such as in the corners of your house or by window frames. You can fix any issues by following the US Department of Energy’s DIY home energy audit, or you can choose to hire a professional to correct any energy-efficiency problems.
Make Small Upgrades to Your Home’s Interior
- Wash clothes in cold water. That way, your water heater won’t work as hard to clean your clothes.
- Upgrade your lightbulbs. Incandescent lightbulbs use much more energy than fluorescent bulbs. While fluorescent bulbs are a little more expensive than incandescent bulbs, they tend to last much longer.
- Open the blinds. Save money and electricity by letting natural light brighten your home.
- Unplug appliances you’re not using. Electronics and appliances consume energy when they’re plugged in, even if they’re turned off. If you only use your microwave, game console, coffee maker, or lamps for a few hours a day, consider unplugging these appliances when they’re not in use.
- Purchase a low-flow shower head. These types of shower heads can save water (and money!) without sacrificing water pressure.
Want to Make Upgrades to Your Current Home?
Whether you are interested in updating your home or are considering selling your home, we can help you with all of your real estate needs. Contact us at Essential Realty Services and we can discuss energy-saving home improvements that will bring you the highest return when you sell.
Considering Buying an Energy-Efficient Home in Florida?
We can help you find the home in your budget that has the energy-saving features you need. Read our resources about Florida home buyer discounts, purchasing HUD homes, and other home buying tips on our website to learn about all the affordable home buying options available, and contact us to talk about your plans.